Monday, July 11, 2011

Celebrate Endings (a.k.a. Let the Chaos Ensue!!)

I have come to a point in my life where I really don't like going to garage sales. Don't get me wrong, I love a bargain as much as the next person, but I despise sifting through other people's over priced crap. I would rather find a good deal at a retail store or eBay or even craigslist. Well, I have now discovered something worse than going to other people's garage sales......having one myself.

I realized going into this whole moving-to-Turkey-thing that Josh and I would have to purge ourselves of nearly all our earthly belongings. At first I relished the thought of of being footloose and fancy free, but to be honest, I am having a harder time with this than I thought I would. Sure, it may sound great being able to carry everything you own with you and not having all the "worldly things" tying you down, but gosh darn it, I really loved having Trivia Pursuit Genius Edition in my game closet even though I never played it. And I really do NEED to keep all of the books I own for my big library that I will have someday. And I just can't throw away all of travel-size shampoos and conditioners that I compulsively collect as souvenirs from hotels where we have stayed.

Josh and I spent a good portion of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday going through each room of the house and deciding what we were going to keep and what we were going to sell, and then trying to decide what the garage sale price sticker should read. (On a side note, I almost think every married couple should go through this at some point in their life. If you can make it through the arguments debates of whether the frying pan is priced too high or whether or not to put the stupid hackie sack into the free box because nobody hacks anymore anyway, I think you can make it through nearly anything.) After a near mental break down on Sunday, which was only resolved by a beer and burger at Blue Door Pub and ice cream at Izzy's, I have come to the conclusion, as a famous quote says, to: "Celebrate endings--for they precede new beginnings." So I will celebrate the ending of my time in my little house in St Paul, by throwing a huge celebratory moving sale. You are all invited!

1 comment:

  1. Well done you guys!!! I cannot even imagine going through all of our stuff and deciding what needs to go and what needs to stay. Things just got thrown in boxes before we left for Scotland (something I am definitely not looking forward to going through in a couple months). Good luck at the sale - If I were there I would definitely pick up the Trivia Pursuit Genius Edition :)

    ReplyDelete