Monday, July 25, 2011

All the Little Things

During an international move, it is amazing how many little details pop up that you never thought of before. For example:

  1. Will my magazine subscriptions ship overseas for free? The answer is yes. Thank goodness! I don't think I could survive without my subscription to Budget Travel and my school counseling journals. 
  2. What kind of electricity will we have? And not just the voltage, but the Hertz and the Wattage of the items we need to plug in to make sure we buy the appropriate transformer. Josh is still researching this one. I always thought it was use as simple as buying a basic transformer and outlet converter. Boy was I wrong! 
  3. Will be able to access the internet in English? Yes, through a proxy server. 
  4. Will websites I love be blocked? I'm still waiting on this one. Rumor has it that Turkey does block certain websites like Google. The proxy should help us avoid this.
  5. What things do I absolutely LOVE that I should stock up on because I won't be able to get them in Turkey? I've already bought a years supply of my skin care and hair care products. I am also bringing spices that I love to cook with, as well as American measuring cups and spoons, since Turkey uses the metric system. I really don't feel like having to do conversions every time I cook with a favorite recipe from home.
  6. How in the world do you travel overseas with two dogs? This has been the most trying part of our experience so far. After a month of go-around with Turkish Airlines, everything seems to be in order. Now we just need to do a final vet appointment, and go to the USDA vet office to get certified paperwork on them. Of course, that all has to be done within 10 days of departure.
Each day new details get added to our to-do list. Just when you think you have thought of everything, something else comes up. Oh, yeah, that reminds me.....I need to go cancel my gym membership.

No comments:

Post a Comment